Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

HELLO Ms. Jolie!


Since January 26th my inbox has been gathering steam from the Academy Awards® telling me who is going to present at the 84th annual event. 


credit: ©A.M.A.P.S.®
For those of you living in a cave away from anything remotely close to Awards Season, the Oscars will be handed out on Sunday, February 26, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®. And guess what? I’ll be there. Yet I digress…

Since then, here are some of the announced presenters:

01/26/2012 The "Bridesmaids" Cast to Present at 84th Academy Awards®
01/30/2012 Jennifer Lopez to Present…
01/31/2012 Tom Hanks to Present…
02/01/2012 Tom Cruise to Present…
02/02/2012 Halle Berry to Present…
02/03/2012 Cameron Diaz to Present…

…and today’s gem:

02/08/2012 Angelina Jolie to Present at 84th Academy Awards

HELLO Ms. Jolie!

photo credit Bryan Crowe © A.M.P.A.S.

We all know that The Media Guy, has a non-stalkerish affinity towards the lovely 1999 winner for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in "Girl, Interrupted,". She’s everything that Hollywood should be: mysterious, glamorous and charitable, all the while oozing sexiness.

Here’s a big shout-out to the best news release to grace my email all year: “Angie, I have the perfect script for you! Just as tear jerking and poignant as 'In the Land of Blood and Honey’. It's perfect for you –– CALL ME!


Hey, this Oscar-stuff sure is fun. 

Anyway, I digressed further than I wanted right now. I was supposed to expound on my views of the critics who don’t like the new poster touting the event. Critics who always look for the negative get my goat. I suppose controversy sells websites and magazines, but wasting a column criticizing a poster? I’m not so sure.

Personally the "Celebrate the movies in all of us" artwork, created award-winning graphic designer Anthony Goldschmidt, and Mark and Karen Crawford, is just the type of thing I’d hang in my office. Soft, gentle, alluring and featuring Best Picture winners spanning eight decades: "Gone with the Wind" (1939), "Casablanca" (1943), "Giant" (1956), "The Sound of Music" (1965), "The Godfather" (1972), "Driving Miss Daisy" (1989), "Forrest Gump" (1994) and "Gladiator" (2000).

[ooooops, “Giant” didn’t win, but its director, George Stevens, did win for directing.]

As a practitioner of basic advertising LCDs (lowest common denominators), it does exactly what a promo piece is supposed to do. It’s a pretty piece that shows what it is and when the event will happen…absolutely perfect…


Mark Crawford (left), of the design firm Blood&Chocolate, Academy President Tom Sherak (center) and award-winning graphic designer Anthony Goldschmidt at the poster printing. photo credit: Todd Wawrychuk / ©A.M.P.A.S.