Search This Blog

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Backstage at the Oscars: 2020

Oscar weathers the storm.
Okay, so where am I? 

I've said it for nine straight year including eight in this space—there's little more electrifying that when hit that plush Oscars burgundy carpet. Dreams are created here. Some are realized. Others are energized. It's a throwback to old Hollywood. There's nothing that can stop it. Not even the rain, and there was a lot prior to the red carpet arrivals. Everyone is there, year after year, in their quest to win (or see who wins) the thirteen-and-a-half-inch tall, eight-and-a-half pound golden statuette.

According to Adweek and Nielsen's fast national ratings, the 92nd Oscars drew 23.6 million total viewers and a 5.3 rating in the adults 18-49 demo. That's a 20% decrease in total viewers and a 31% demo drop from last year's ceremony, which had veeb watched by 29.6 million people and a 7.7 demo rating. Maybe they do need a host. Who knows.

I am happy to report that I've let my verbal contract with my agent expire. He's been missing for over a year and wasn't around for my KHL/Penguin book deal and my four movie scripts are gathering dust on his swank Avenue of the Stars corner office. I will make things happen on my own thank you. Onto more satisfying things...

So for the ninths straight year, here's my first-hand view of the happenings backstage at the 92nd Academy Awards:

BACKSTAGE INTERVIEW WITH:
Renée Zellweger, Judy
Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

Q: I loved you in Judy. I have to say that it's, I mean, absolutely amazing performance and amazing film. So, basically, you became an extension of Judy in the film. It's almost like she transcended with you in the film.  And what I want to know is, how did you connect? What was it about Judy that connected you so closely by so in heart that you basically became her? I know you've done a lot of research, but was there anything else that you felt very close to with her that you were able to deliver such an incredible performance and become her, essentially?

credit: Nick Agro / ©A.M.P.A.S.
Renée Zellweger: That's really kind.  Thank you very much. I appreciate that. You know, I can't think about it. I can't extract myself from the collaboration. The only things that I would do by myself are sing in the car on the 405 in traffic, you know, for a year. So that was a lot of practice for anybody who's tried to drive down the 405.  But—and, you know, the reading and things, that was by myself. But what you're talking  about, that connectivity, that was a consequence of everybody's work on that set. Everybody was motivated by the same thing. We    just appreciate the importance of her legacy and who she was as a person and we all wanted to celebrate her. And everyday we came to work and we just tried things, we just kept trying things. And the director, Rupert Goold, called it "mining for treasure." We were all digging around in sort of the materials of her legacy, her music, her books, interviews, her television show. You know, just everything that we could find that seemed essential in conjuring her essence to tell the story.  And that was everybody's work, you know. And it was, you know, the partnership with every single department throughout. And it really was a celebration. We just came to work every day. You could feel the love, the love for Ms. Garland, and that was what we had hoped, so, and I thank you for your question.

Q: So have you called anyone? Who are you going to call first and how are you going to celebrate tonight?

RZ: Well, my phone is in somebody else's bag right now. So I haven't called anybody. But I know that my mom is with my dad and they're hanging out with their friends and they were watching TV and I told her, "Please just keep your phone on the coffee table so you can" -- so she's waiting. So I'm going to -- yeah.

Q: All right. They say that we learn a great deal in the hard times of life, but I think we learn a great deal also from success. From almost before this picture opened, people realized and began talking about how amazing your performance is, how amazing the movie is. So you've gone through this whole award after award, you know, expressions of success. How has that changed you? What has that done for you to know that you set out to do this and you did it?

RZ: Thank you.  That's a really great question. It's not something that I've actually thought about, you know. I wish I could answer you in a couple of days because I would sit with that for a second and I would really think on it, you know. Off the top of my head, if I could look back on this year of experiences, it's really nice when something that really matters to you resonates with someone else. That's -- you know, it's always a huge, wonderful kind of unexpected reaction to -- I don't know, for anyone who creates art. You write an article and somebody calls you and says, that touched me or -- you know? So it's a really nice thing and it makes me happy for everybody that, you know, that I worked with, because I watched how hard everyone worked. It always goes back to that. It always goes back to the collaboration and what you intended and what you hoped for it. And like you said, when it becomes meaningful to someone else, and it's kind of a confirmation that, "Yeah, okay, that's what we meant," you know. And this definitely was not what was on my mind when we started this experience, you know. But in my mind, when I go back to those couple of years that we shared celebrating her and telling the story and building toward it, boy, that's the blessing, isn't it? Yeah.

Q: How is this award different from the first one you won in 2004, and how have you changed as a person, as an actress?

RZ: Oh, my goodness, how much time do you have? Well, at that time, I think I was so busy that I wasn't actually in the moment. I think I had just flown home from something for Bridget Jones two or something. It's different, different perspective. I'm a little more present now.  I think that the time away and the time in between has helped me to appreciate it in a different way. I just look at it in a different way, what it represents is a little bit different.  And, obviously, this isn't ultimately -- you know, this is about this wanting to tell that story and to celebrate Judy Garland and to shine a light on, perhaps, the nuances of the circumstances of her life, which people dismiss as tragic. And, you know, the opportunity to tell a story that challenges that narrative and says, "Oh, no, no, no, no, you can't know how extraordinary a person is until you know what they struggle with and what they overcome." And, to me, that, you know, that's what this is.

RZ: Thank you, guys. Thanks so much. And good luck. My goodness, what a busy night for you all. I know you have deadlines, so good luck with those.

Onstage Speech:
Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Note that Joaquin Phoenix did not come backstage for a Q&A with the media. No one held it against him; that's how he rolls. Instead I put in his acceptance speech, in which I mentally screamed "you tell them, brother...!" when he talked about second chances. Respect Mr. Phoenix.

Richard Harbaugh / ©A.M.P.A.S.
God, I’m full of so much gratitude right now. And I do not feel elevated above any of my fellow nominees or anyone in this room because we share the same love, the love of film, and this form of expression has given me the most extraordinary life. I don’t know what I’d be without it. But I think the greatest gift that it’s given me, and many of us in this room, is the opportunity to use our voice for the voiceless. I’ve been thinking a lot about some of the distressing issues that we are facing collectively. And I think at times we feel, or were made to feel, that we champion difference causes, but for me, I see commonality. I think, whether we’re talking about gender inequality, or racism, or queer rights, or indigenous rights, or animal rights, we’re talking about the fight against injustice. We’re talking about the fight against the belief that one nation, one people, one race, one gender, or one species has the right to dominate, control and use and exploit another with impunity. I think that we’ve become very disconnected from the natural world, and many of us, what we’re guilty of is an egocentric worldview, the belief that we’re the center of the universe. We go into the natural world and we plunder it for its resources. We feel entitled to artificially inseminate a cow and when she gives birth, we steal her baby, even though her cries of anguish are unmistakable. And then we take her milk that’s intended for her calf and we put it in our coffee and our cereal. And I think we fear the idea of personal change because we think that we have to sacrifice something to give something up, but human beings at our best are so inventive and creative and ingenious. And I think that when we use love and compassion as our guiding principles, we can create, develop and implement systems of change that are beneficial to all sentient beings and to the environment. Now I have been, I have been a scoundrel in my life. I’ve been selfish, I’ve been cruel at times, hard to work with, and I’m grateful that so many of you in this room have given me a second chance. And I think that’s when we’re at our best, when we support each other, not when we cancel each other out for past mistakes, but when we help each other to grow, when we educate each other, when we guide each other toward redemption. That is the best of humanity. When he was 17, my brother wrote this lyric, he said: run to the rescue with love and peace will follow. Thank you.

BACKSTAGE INTERVIEW WITH:
Brad Pitt, Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood
Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

Q: What's your Tinder profile going to say now?

Brad Pitt: (Laughs) You'll just have to look it up.

Q: Some unkind souls have suggested you had a writer throughout the speeches this award season. Say it ain't so.

BP: What, no, actually, historically, I've always been really tentative about speeches, like, they make me nervous. So this—this round, I figured if we're going to do this—like, put some, like, some real work into it and try to get comfortable, and this is the result of that. No, I definitely write them. I have some funny friends. I have some very, very funny friends that helped me with some laughs, but, no, it's, you know, it's got to come from the heart.

Nick Agro / ©A.M.P.A.S.
Q: It's been a pleasure for all of us watching you go up awards show after awards show this season and it will certainly be something that we all remember looking back. When you look back on 2020 and this awards season, what do you want to remember?

BP: On 2020 awards season?

Q: Yes, this season, this year.

BP: What do I want to -- hell, if I know, man. I can't even catch up with—you know, what do I—again, it was—for me, it was just about getting cozy, you know, up in front of a mass of people. I know that sounds antithetical given the profession I've chosen, but it's not necessarily my thing. So that's probably what I'll remember.

Q: Brad, as referenced earlier, you had a lot of humor in your previous speeches this season, but tonight you did have your -- a political reference. What kind of prompted you to go that way?

BP: I was really disappointed with this week. And I think when gamesmanship trumps doing the right thing, it's a sad day and I don't think we should let it slide. And I'm very serious about that.

Q: You mentioned your kids in your acceptance speech and Quentin Tarantino said that your son Maddox delivered one of the best film reviews he's ever heard. So what's his review of Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood?

BP: I'm going to keep that...I just keep that to the...I keep that...that's like...I just keep that indoors.

Q: How are you going to celebrate with your kids?

BP:Don't know yet. We'll see.

Q: In your speech you mentioned Robert Garcia. Could you talk about who Robert Garcia is and why did you decide to mention him in your speech?

BP: Robert Garcia is a dear, dear old friend of mine. He's a Teamster and I rely on him heavily and he's a lovely guy.

Q: You say this was dedicated to your kids. What would you say to them if they want to become actors? Would you let them do it and what would be the advice that you would give them -- to them.

BP: We can have that conversation if—once they are 18. And then I -- listen, I want them to follow their bliss. You know, follow their passions, whatever—whatever they are most interested in. And then it's—then I think it's about, you know, guiding as you can. But they get to try everything on and find what—where their passion lies. So, sure, why not?

Q: Are you having the time of your life? You know, you've walked up and won every single award. Is this the time of your life?

BP: Well, no. I hope not. I hope I got other shit going on. But it has been a really special—really special run. And, again, it's a community I love and friends that I've made over, you know, 30 years and they mean a lot to me, truly. And I feel a responsibility to that more than anything, more than, like, a victory lap. And so I think, like, right now I'm just looking—I think it's—I think it's time to go disappear for a little while now and, you know, get back to making things.

BACKSTAGE INTERVIEW WITH:
Laura Dern, Marriage Story
Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Q: Happy birthday.

Laura Dern: Thank you. Thank you. Will you help me for a moment? I just want to say I was in complete shock. And I forgot to say thank you to my guides in my life: Peter Levine, Jason Weinberg, Annett Wolf, Kevin Evein, and my life-long acting teacher Sandra Seacat, who I've been with since I was 18 years old. And now I can have a great night because it's a little bit of heartbreak when you haven't thanked all the people who bring you here, you know. So thank you.

Matt Petit / ©A.M.P.A.S.
Q: Congratulations in promoting your close friends down in Australia. I have to say, so your mom's been nominated for an Oscar, your dad's been nominated for Oscars, you've been nominated for Oscars before. You are such an incredible acting family. What does it mean to be finally holding that statute tonight?

LD: Well, I went backstage, and people were telling me my mother was very moved, and that just makes me so happy to stand up and sing their praises. They literally got me here and artistically got me here as well. So it means the world. Thank you.

Q: My question is in such a divisive time culturally and politically, you mentioned about the gift of being able to talk about love through a story. What did you realize through Marriage Story that, perhaps, we should think about this year as a nation and just internationally as well?

LD: I think if a couple through heartbreak and divisiveness can come together to raise a child, then this country better get our act together. I think there is much to learn from the  story so beautifully told by Noah. And on a global level, as I mentioned, you know, we have a planet to save. So I pray we can all come together to focus on something that is not at all about politics. It's all about our home. Thank you.

Q: And I was wondering what advice you have for women who are looking to break into the film industry.

LD: Oh, said so beautifully by the filmmakers of How To Skateboard, you have to use your voice in this life. You have to stay true to yourself whoever you are. As my fourth grade teacher advised me, the best advice I got, "Keep your eyes on your own paper." And in a social media heyday, to stay true to your own inner voice and not be too focused on the noise and to feel blessed when we get to do what we love in this life. Thank you.

Q:Addressing the elephant in the room, if you had a chance to nominate any female directors, who would you nominate?

LD: If I could give this Oscar to Greta Gerwig, I would do it right now, and Lulu. I mean, there are so many beautiful films. I met the director of Honey Boy yesterday at the Independent Spirit Awards. There are great films. I think that our lens should focus, perhaps, less on the lack of accolades and more on the less -- the less opportunity that there is, and even more so the lack of second chances given to female voices. And as the business and the people with the money give more and more opportunity to extraordinary and diverse voices and representing who we want to see reflected in film, which is ourselves, we are going to be in a lot different shape. And I share this with Noah and Greta as well, who I spent my year with in art and friendship and now doing press for both films. So I would love to also see her continually awarded for all her beautiful work.

Q: I'm wondering on the note that you were just speaking about and considering Joaquin Phoenix's speech that he just gave at the BAFTAs encouraging everyone to actually look at what is happening systemically at these awards shows and in Hollywood in general, I'm wondering if you have any further thoughts about how the Oscars, how Hollywood as a whole, can be more intentionally inclusive when it comes to bringing about not just women but people of color as well?

LD: When we say, use our voice, we are talking about us, each other, in whatever industry we are in. We have power to say something. And when we don't see our culture reflected around us, we get to say something. And I think that's the biggest shift we've seen in the last couple of years is voices matter, and a community of voices rallying around the truth really matter in journalism, in this industry, and in many others. So make sure that your crew and the storytelling reflects our global community. And if you're an actor on a movie or you're the filmmaker, you're the producer, you get to say something. If you're the DP, you get to say something about your camera crew. And that matters.

Q: In Marriage Story and in Big Little Lies, you play these characters who, you know, take no crap, won't be silenced, and are very confident in who they are. And I'm just wondering who are the women in your life that inspired you in these roles? And if you had a message to little girls out there who want to be in the position that you are right now, what would it be?

LD: Well, I start with my mother, who she and my godmother, Shelley Winters, were massive influences on my life as an actor and activist, and be loud, be proud, stand by incredible sisters. You know, I have been blessed in this year to have extraordinary roles, and they said, "Wow, this year you're playing powerful women versus, you know, complicated, indigent addicts or some other reference a journalist said." And I said, "Because there are women in positions of power to play now. But five years ago, I probably wouldn't have gotten to play a leading divorce lawyer or a CEO of a major tech company because they weren't in those positions." So there are many more exciting roles to play, and the future generations are going to be the ones that lift us up and show us because they know it's their role, not because they are going to ask for permission. They're just going to do what they love, and bless them for showing us the way. Thank you all. I'm so excited to be here. Thank you.

BACKSTAGE INTERVIEW WITH:
Bong Joon-Ho, Parasite
Best Picture, Directing, International Feature Film, Writing (Original Screenplay)
 The Full Oscars 2020 Backstage Interview


NOTES ON THE SCORECARD:

Past Media Guy Oscars Backstage Columns: 2019 - 2018 - 2017 - 2016 - 2015 - 2014 - 2013 - 2012

"If the Academy allows, I would like to get a Texas chainsaw, split the Oscar trophy into five and share it with all of you. Thank you, I will drink until next morning." —Bong Joon Ho

credit: Nick Agro / ©A.M.P.A.S.
Spike Lee with the moving tribute to Kobe Bryant:



Oscar-worthy bomb of Margot Robbie from Timothée Chalamet.


2019 Oscar-winner Regina King celebrates with 2020 Oscar-winner Brad Pitt.


Scarlett Johansson proved to be the "wow" of the arrivals.


Adapted Screenplay winner Taika Waititi (Jojo Rabbit) mugs backstage with Natalie Portman.


The fun of Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus's critical insights into the role of the cinematographer continue off-screen.


The clean-up from the rain almost encroached into the celebrity arrivals.


THE envelopes...

Cats wasn't a hit, but Rebel Wilson and James Corden as cats was...


Oscar in hand, Brad Pitt takes a moment.


In a surprise move, Eminem performed his Oscar-winning "Lose Yourself" seventeen years after he won. Here, he shares a moment with Salma Hayek Pinault.


Diane Keaton and Keanu Reeves in their own world.


It's all fun and games when Maya Rudolph and Kirsten Wiig are around.


Penelope Cruz and Bong Joon-Ho after one of his Oscar wins.


And the Media Guy on the Red Carpet prior to the show:


Note: Some photos courtesy of A.M.P.A.S.