Search This Blog

Thursday, May 30, 2019

Down the Rabbit Hole with Infomercials

Okay, so where am I?

Most of my regular readers know I am always on the search for that Big Idea. It's something I learned the importance of from a, intimate David Ogilvy talkback I scored tickets through a viscous corporate ladder climber I was dating at the time. Research and writing were the keys back then. Still are if you wan to know the truth. Today I am humbled by the announcement of my 12th and 13th lifetime Telly Awards. These are the super elite Gold Awards. I am honored to have such a great team around me to make this possible and elated those long hours looking for the “Big Idea” continue to pay off.

Here's the official Gold Award Winners Reel:


Reveling in these awards, sent me down a rabbit hole remembering one of my first big award, a local Emmy Award for an infomercial of sorts for my work with the legendary Pat Summerall on a United Airlines partnership I dreamed up when I was back at Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies (laugh all you want about Leslie's and their name, but they had almost 500 stores across the States and they were a monster). Surely I wish I had a copy of this spot, but like many things pre-digital age, it's lost in the ether. My informercial was entirely different that the hallmarks of the informercial that aired late night before cable hit its stride.

Infomercials gained steam in the 1980s as a popular advertising medium after getting its start as a long-form 1940s Vitamix blender commercial. In the 1970s, the advertising format skyrocketed in San Diego (stay classy!) with a one-hour show running Sunday television. In 1982, the infomercials us older crown know and love aired, specifically for hair growth and restoration treatments. Then in 1984, the FCC regulations imposing time limits on advertising were lifted and they really soared. Couple that with the boon in self-help products and home cooking aids and it was game on.

Here's a rundown of my top infomericals:

Suzanne Somers
"ThighMaster"

Suzanne Somers was the mostly dimwitted blonde on “Three’s Company.” We didn't hear much from her after a holdout cost her the sweet gig on the popular sitcom and then all of the sudden she was back holding down court on late-night squeezing the odd-shaped ThighMaster between your legs. Women couldn't get enough (they sold 1o million units) and adolescent boys were glued to their television screens.


The Clapper
"Clap On, Clap Off"

Before smartphones and the real Internet, The Clapper introduced millions to the concept of home automation which begs the question: would Alexa exist without it?


Life Call
"I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up!"

Back in the day, I was in the room and help conceptualize the iconic "I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up!" commercial spot for Life Call. Yes we were laughed at. Yes, they wanted to fire us. Yes, they sold millions of units. Yes, they still run the same concepts today. No, I didn't get any royalties. Bugger!


Hair Club for Men
“I’m not only the Hair Club president, I’m also a client.”

Sy Sperling used the signature catch phrase, “I’m not only the Hair Club president, I’m also a client,” to sign off his Hair Club for Men infomercials. He was on television so much that I'm sure many college fraternities used his spots for drinking games. After an endorsement from Ron Blomberg of the New York Yankees his hair club was greeted with "instant success" raking in $100 million annual in its peak years.


The "Gazelle" with Tony Little

The ponytailed Little with the hugh thighs called himself “America’s Personal Trainer.” Actually he's probably the "World's Personal Trainer" as his infomercials have aired in 81 different countries, selling almost 50 million fitness-related products. This 48-minute informercial ran almost nightly at one point:


RONCO

Ron Pompeil was the man. Nothing was out of his seller's hands: pasta machines, pocket fishing poles, smokeless ashtrays, pray-on hair, food dehydrators, BBQ machines, devices that scrambled eggs inside their shells. You name it, he sold it. Here's a sweet thirty minute spot for his Showtime BBQ and Rotisserie:


"OxiClean" with Billy Mays

When the loud, bearded Billy Mays hit your screen hawking hawking the mysterious powdered substance OxiClean, you listened. I mean how can he get red wine out of anything when you cannot? And the ad copy? It's amazing!:

It's amazing! Watch how OxiClean unleashes the power of oxygen making tough stains disappear like magic without fading or bleeding the colors. For pet messes, OxiClean is a must; it goes deep down, below the surface to get rid of the stain and the odor. Have you ever spilled chlorine bleach on your colored clothes? Well OxiClean is tough on stains without the damaging effects of chlorine bleach. If you save one pair of jeans, then OxiClean has paid for itself. Some clothes say no chlorine bleach, but OxiClean safely removes the stain, even on baby's clothes, it's the stain remover for the things that you love. Add a scoop of OxiClean to every load of laundry; it'll boost the stain removing power of your detergent. Don't just clean it, OxiClean it!

Watch the wonders of Oxiclean: